2021 WSFCA Safety Section's Leadership Award
Wisconsin State Fire Chiefs Association
Applicants must submit this form by April 1st, 2021. The award winner will be presented at the WSFCA
Conference in June 2021
The WSFCA Safety Section’s Safety Leadership Award supports the National Fallen Firefighter
Foundation (NFFF) and United States Fire Administration (USFA) initiatives to reduce firefighter injuries
and Line of Duty Deaths (LODDs). The award is presented annually at the WSFCA conference.
Selection Criteria: In order to receive the Safety Leadership Award, the department must have
experienced a significant and verifiable effort to improve firefighter safety during the past year. Efforts
should be aligned to at least one of the NFFF’s 16 Firefighter Life Safety Initiatives. The comprehensive
nature of the safety program will be evaluated during the selection process, as well as the individual
departmental impact of the efforts.
Examples of efforts that would represent strong candidates include (but are not limited to):
1. Evidence of significant cultural change within a department.
2. Improvement and increase in training and certification levels.
3. Improvement of response policies based on state and national standards.
4. Championing public education as a critical fire and life safety program, advocacy of code
enforcement, and home fire sprinklers.
5. Programs and processes providing psychological support to firefighters and families.
6. Implementation of technology to improve firefighter safety.
7. Improving driver/operator training and safe vehicle operations, including zero collisions or
vehicle related incidents during the past year.
8. Improving personal and organizational accountability for health and safety.
9. Integration of risk management with incident management.
Eligibility: Applications must be made on behalf of a fire and emergency services organization, by a
member of the organization, or by another individual familiar with the organization and safety effort.
The application must be signed by a chief officer of the organization.
Application Process: Applications for the Safety Leadership Award will be solicited in advance of the
WSFCA conference in a call for applications, and evaluated by the WSFCA Safety Section membership.
The selected award winner will receive the award at the annual WSFCA conference, presented to
representatives of the department.